To understand the meaning, utility, and advantages of Transitions lenses, it’s key to understand the meaning of photochromatic lenses. Photochromatic lenses are basically adaptive lenses. These lenses can darken when they’re exposed to UV light. This happens when the lens wearer steps outdoor or even indoor with access to natural light. When you’re not exposed to natural light, photochromatic lenses come back to their transparent state. So, Transitions lenses are a type of photochromatic lens that has the ability to completely block (100%) harmful UVB and UVA radiation.
Need for sun protection
It is well-known that UV radiation is harmful to the skin so people wear sunscreen, large hats, caps, and use umbrellas to shield themselves from these rays. But it’s equally important to shield one’s eyes from UV rays. Research has shown that unprotected, long-term exposure to UV radiation can cause eye issues such as cataracts, macular degeneration, and other eye problems.
Functions served by Transitions lenses
The main functions of Transition lenses are:
- Protection from UV radiation: Transitions lenses are the type of photochromatic lenses that can successfully block 100% UVA and UVB radiation. So, it serves as an efficient protective shield for the eyes.
- Improves vision: Transition lenses can change depending on the light wavelength. So, your ability to see clearly is at its best with Transitions lenses. Transitions lenses enable the wearer to discern objects of different sizes and enhance brightness and contrast.
- Reduces glare: They’re great for reducing glare because Transitions lenses react immediately to changing levels of illumination (of natural light). The level of the tint of such lenses adjusts with light wavelength because of the special photochromatic dyes present in these lenses.
Advantages of Transitions lenses
- Transitions lenses work fast as they react immediately to changing levels of illumination.
- They can successfully block 100% UVA as well as UVB radiation.
- Transitions lenses are highly versatile when it comes to utility as they can be worn while driving, working infront of the laptop, outdoors, and indoors.
- They work like sunglasses and can be worn while wearing sunglasses too.
- They’re available in a variety of lens designs such as single-vision and progressives.
Transitions lenses are a premium variant of photochromatic lenses that serve a variety of important functions and come with innumerable advantages.