Are you suffering from eye problems like redness, pain, watering etc? Are you a diabetic patient? If yes, then you must reach to a specialist as early as possible and check your eyes. Not only that you have to maintain a regular visit to understand the status of your eye. Otherwise your eyes may be affected with Diabetic retinopathy. This occurs due to increase of blood sugar level and this may leads to blindness. A large number of people are suffering from this vision threatening eye disease in Singapore.
Diabetic retinopathy causes the change in blood vessels on the retina of our eye and can turn your life into a miserable one The symptoms are as follows:
- Gradual decrease in visual acuity
- Sudden loss of vision.
- Pain and redness.
- Blur or patchy vision.
The preventive procedures:
- Scatter laser surgery: This surgery helps in the proper treatment of your destiny. The surgery makes 2000 tiny burns to treat the spots from where the retina has detached from the macula. However, you can save your central vision.
- Corticosteroids: This is an outpatient treatment where the physician injects steroid into your eye. It has adverse effects may cause glaucoma, cataracts etc. However, with this, you can save your vision in primary stage of diabetic retinopathy.
- Anti-VEGF injection therapy. Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor (VEGF) is an injection procedure of a group of medication which reduces the growth and swelling of capillary in retina. Specifically it decreases fluid build-up in your retina.
- Vitrectomy: Vitrectomy is a surgical process to treat diabetic retinopathy. In this procedure a tiny incision is given into your eyes to reach the target area where blood vessels and the layers of the retina is affected. This procedure helps in removing the leaked blood and scar tissues from your vitreous to save the vision which is active. It is also helpful for treating cloudy vision.
These are some of the noteworthy treatments. Your Ophthalmologist will examine your eyes and if they will find any sign of this disease, will suggest you to go for the treatments which are right for you. So, regular eye check-ups are mandatory to save your vision.